Goals: English Literature Emphasis - Associate in Arts Degree
By completing this program, students will achieve the following learning goals:
- To develop writers and speakers who use the English language effectively and who read, write, speak, and listen critically.
- To develop thinkers who are able to unify factual, creative, rational, and value-sensitive modes of thought.
- To improve students’ understanding of natural science principles and of the methods of scientific inquiry, i.e., the ways in which scientists investigate natural science phenomena.
- To increase students’ knowledge about mathematical and logical modes of thinking.
- To increase students’ knowledge of how historians and social and behavioral scientists discover, describe, and explain the behaviors and interactions among individuals, groups, institutions, events, and ideas.
- To expand students’ knowledge of the human condition and human cultures, especially in relation to behavior, ideas, and values expressed in works of human imagination and thought.
- To increase students’ understanding of individual and group differences (e.g. race, gender, class) and their knowledge of the traditions and values of various groups in the United States.
- To increase students’ understanding of the growing interdependence of nations and people and develop their ability to apply a comparative perspective to cross-cultural social, economic, and political experiences.
- To develop students’ capacity to identify, discuss, and reflect upon the ethical dimensions of political, social, and personal life and to understand the ways in which they can exercise responsible and productive citizenship.
- To improve students’ understanding of today’s complex environmental challenges.
- To improve students’ awareness and understanding of issues related to personal wellness.
PEOPLE TO CONTACT
Counseling & Advising