Display this page in a printer-friendly format  Print

Application Process for Transfer Students

Any student with at least 12 credits from another institution is considered a transfer student with Anoka-Ramsey. We strongly recommend that students follow the instructions below to experience a smooth transfer. For students that have completed less than 12 credits, we suggest they follow steps 1 and 2 on this page, then attend an Orientation & Registration session in-person.

1.  Apply Online

  • If you have ever been a student with Anoka-Ramsey, you do not need to re-apply.
  • Submit the application then watch the mail for a letter containing your Student Tech ID and PIN information.

2. Request Transcripts

Incoming transfer students with more than 12 college-level credits should have official transcripts from previous institutions sent to the Records and Registration office. 

  • If you are transferring from another MnSCU institution, please complete the Transfer Request Form to have your official transcript sent.
  • If you have transfer credits from the University of Minnesota, private, or out of state colleges/universities, you must contact that institution and request that they send your official transcript to Anoka-Ramsey Community College. Transcripts can take a few weeks to be received by Anoka-Ramsey after you have requested them from the other institution. To verify that we have received the transcript and that you can proceed to the Online Orientation, please contact our Records Office at 763-433-1400.

3. Complete Online Orientation

E-mail orientation@anokaramsey.edu and include the following information in the e-mail:

      • Full Legal Name
      • Student ID Number
      • Declared Major/Program
      • Phone Number
  • The Orientation staff will verify that transcripts have been received and that there are at least 12 transfer credits, then they will give you access to the Online Orientation within 1-2 business days of your original e-mail.
  • Once you complete Online Orientation, your orientation hold will be lifted and you will be able to register for courses. The orientation staff will also request for your official transcripts to be evaluated. This process can take 7-10 business days, possibly longer at peak times.

4. Register for Courses

After your Orientation hold is lifted, you are able to register online, assuming that registration has begun for your desired semester. Please check your registration window to be sure of your registration dates.

  • If your Official Evaluation is complete, you may follow the directions on the Transfer Registration page.
  • If your Official Evaluation is still in progress, you have a few options to be able to register:
    • If the course you want to register for does not have a prerequisite: log into My Course Schedule, and register for the course.
    • If the course you want to register for does have a prerequisite, and you believe that you have met that prerequisite, then you need to have assistance in order to register (until your official evaluation is complete). Either option below can assist you to register.
      • You can complete the Prerequisite Registration Form and work with the Records Office to register. To see which courses could be used as a prerequisite, please make an account with Transferology (transferology.com) and view the transfer equivalencies prior to submitting the Prerequisite Registration Form.
      • Or, you can set up an appointment with an Academic Advisor to register for courses and unofficially evaluate how your previous credits may transfer to Anoka-Ramsey. Advisors can also assist with registration for students that are relying on Accuplacer scores from non-MnSCU institutions or ACT scores to meet a prerequisite for a course.

Do You Need to Complete Placement Testing?

Transfer students are not required to take the Accuplacer placement test, if they meet any of the following criteria:

1) Completed an equivalent to ENGL 1121 and a college level math course at another institution. Transfer students who have not completed an equivalent to ENGL 1121, or do not meet the prerequisites needed to register for ENGL 1121, will then be required to take the Reading portion of the Accuplacer assessment. Similarly, students who have not met prerequisite requirements for certain college level Math courses may be required to take the Math portion of the Accuplacer.

2) Recent ACT subscores of at least 22 in Math and 18 in English (within last two years for Math scores and within last 3 years for English scores). Students whose subscores are lower in one of these areas are required to take the placement test in that area. 

3) Completed the Accuplacer assessment at another institution and the scores are still valid. Math Accuplacer scores are valid for 2 years and English Accuplacer scores are valid for 3 years.

Questions on whether or not you need to take the assessment, contact Academic Advising!  763-433-1230

What are your Payment Options?

You may apply for Financial Aid ANYTIME during this process at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The Anoka-Ramsey Community College school code is: 002332

Check out our All About Money page for information on Scholarships and Payment Plans


Admissions Office

College Operator