Online Writing Resources
- This website is a fabulous resource. It has links to just about every topic there is, including citation rules, grammar worksheets, resources for ESL students, advice on thesis statements, and tips for writing in different academic subjects.
- This is a really cool site, because it will give you information on a bunch of different levels. That is, you can get information not only about individual grammar terms, but also about sentence structure, paragraphs, and whole essays.
- This is a good grammar website. There are printable worksheets, in addition to definitions and quick tips. This site is very easy to follow, and a good place to go if you want some basic rules or practice.
- This is another grammar website. It has a lot of good information, but it can be a little hard to find what you want because there are so many options listed, and because they are listed in pretty technical terms (for example, if you want to look up how to use articles, you have to know that articles are “determiners,” and look under “D,” not under “A”). But if you have enough time to look around, there are good explanations and examples here.
- Are you confused about what exactly plagiarism is? This site can help. Start at the link above for some basic information, then look around the site for more details.
A NOTE ABOUT USING ONLINE DICTIONARIES:
It is strongly encouraged to use a regular dictionary, not an online one, when looking words up (the writing center has dictionaries that can used). A real copy of the dictionary makes it very easy to see other words related to the word that is being looked up, so one can learn all the forms of a word all at once (for example, if looking up the word "write," on the same page one will see "write-off," "writer," "writerly," "writer's block," and "writing). It just gives more information than an online dictionary does. However, if a paper copy of the dictionary isn't available, these two online versions are pretty good.
- This is a very good online dictionary. If you are not sure how to spell a word and enter your best guess, the website does a pretty good job of generating a list of words that you might mean. This dictionary gives pronunciations in standard form, and you can also click to hear a recording of the word being pronounced.
- This is a learner’s dictionary, so it gives definitions in very simple, easy-to-understand language. A nice part about this dictionary is that in addition to the definition, it gives example sentences that use the word you looked up. However, it gives the pronunciation of words in a way that can be hard to understand. So this site is best if you just need to know what a word means, not how to pronounce it.
PEOPLE TO CONTACT
If you have any additional questions, please contact:
Writing Center Coordinator